Sunday, September 26, 2010

Boston is finally starting to feel like home...

It has been nearly two months since I moved to Boston. Time continues to fly. The school week is so compacted... it hardly ever seems like you leave because you are there for 10 hours a day and then you come home to work more on the things you failed to get done at school. But... as of now, I love it. Being a teacher has been great, especially because every day I feel a little more adjusted and comfortable in the classroom. Controlling a classroom has been the biggest learning experience. I wish we had smaller classes but the reality is that we do not. I am proud to say that I can now quiet my students down and get (mostly) their full attention for the majority of the class. Each day is different though and some days certain sections are better than others. Either way, I've learned to appreciate my students as fundamentally good kids who sometimes make poor choices. In that sense, they are no different than the rest of us...

On Saturday Ian and Bethany and I visited the Harpoon Brewery before wandering around the Boston Common and Public Garden on a beautiful unseasonably warm day. We continued our wandering to an awesome used book store. The city, for the first time, began to feel like home even though I do not know it as well as I want to someday. It will take time and more wandering I think before I really begin to feel comfortable. I like living in big cities but they do take their adjustments. All in all... a fantastic way to end the week and get ready for the next one.

1 comment:

Kiernan said...

It sounds wonderful, Matt. I hope you're up for a visit sometime in December, because it looks as though my family and I will be making a trip out to the MA/NH area.