Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hillsdale- 3rd Semester

Here I am again back in Hillsdale and starting to transition into my new schedule. Yet I made such a transition difficult in part because of my involvement with a seminar on Revolutions conducted by a 93 year old don at Oxford University. James, Stephen, and I agreed to work on various revolutions in the Middle Eastern nations of Iran, Iraq, and Turkey. It should definitely be a fascinating experience although it only lasts the first three weeks of the semester. In the meantime, my Mondays and Wednesdays are swamped with classes going from 9am to 9pm.

I am also continuing my career in college debate which is also proving to be a greater obligation with the arrival of a new debate coach. I have a new job this year, in the admissions office giving tours of the campus to prospective students. So with all of this in mind, the new school year is proving to be just as exciting as the first year. But I am oh so glad to not be a freshman anymore...

Classes are really good thus far. I almost feel kind of overwhelmed by taking both an upper level history and english course. I hope to devote enough time to my semester long 15 page research paper on the topic of American non-interventionism in the 1920's.

Since I am in a rambling mood, I must also confess that my stomach continues to hate me for eating the food around this place. Although that might be a slight over exaggeration, I continue to wonder how I made it through an entire year eating around this place...

Niedfeldt continues to be the place I call home this year. I am so glad I came back for another year here. The freshman appear to be really nice and there is so much more involvement and community here than last year. My procrastination from Spanish homework (which is from El Diablo himself) led me to waste a good half hour of my time sitting out in the lobby with 5-10 other freshman and upperclassmen talking about the most random of subjects. My college experience is now complete as I now better understand the idea of true community in a dorm.

Hope anyone who happened to read this managed to stay awake... time to get back to that Spanish homework...

No comments: