Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Reformed Theology

Listening to John Piper and Sovereign Grace sermons on the ipod at work has prompted a renewed personal appreciation for Reformed theology. Growing up in the reformed tradition, its teachings were definitely something I took for granted without truly understanding the meaning. Yet now they have become a source of comfort for me at this point in my life. Even though so much of life changes, knowing that my faith remains rock solid has been assuring rather than disconcerting, as answers sometimes can be. Especially, if they are answers that are not popular with modern culture.

By recognizing that our depravity is actually GOOD news because of the sacrifice of Jesus, I have realized that the Christian life is never about yourself. It never seeks to bring glory or credit of any kind to the individual. This fact alone has been comforting because when I look at myself, I see someone who does not even come close to receiving any sort of credit for anything I have ever "accomplished." My salvation especially, is not something I deserve any recognition for.

The process of sanctification must continue if we are to live in Christ. What a struggle to live each day trusting Christ all the time for the renewal of our mind and heart away from ourselves and into His likeness...

No comments: