Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer Hopes

“We have within ourselves
Enough to fill the present day with joy,
And overspread the future years with hope.”

-Wordsworth

Six weeks from yesterday I move back down to Hillsdale. I am honestly really excited- and optimistic- for whatever the next year will bring. Days like today remind me why I am pursuing knowledge at a college like Hillsdale. Being frustrated with a summer job seems like such a pointless waste of emotion. Yet it is hard for me to be apathetic about anything, hence I tend to become frustration when something I invest it does not work out. Regardless, it has been my hope and prayer this entire summer for the Lord to bless this upcoming year. I am reminded however, that God is faithful and sufficient. My happiness is in Him not because He does what I want Him to do, but because I grow closer to Him and His will each day.

We live and interact in such an emotion driven culture. Everything is subjective to the current state of our feelings. Think of how often our initial reaction is "how we feel" about it. There's nothing wrong with our emotions, but I am thankful that God is teaching me not to overlook His truth within our emotions and feelings.

It is true that within ourselves we can offer joy each day and hope to our future. But such hope is based also on our emotions and feelings which can deceive is. When we conform to God and His will, He will be within us. He will be our joy and our hope. He will be sufficient for all our needs.

No comments: