Monday, May 11, 2009

Thoughts on Junior Year

I believe learned more about life this past year than ever before. I still am unable to get over how fast the year went, but I am thankful it is finished. I will miss many friends, however, especially the seniors who were such an incredible part of my college community and are now moving on to other things. I am excited for this summer, the opportunity to go to Washington D.C. and spend some time with friends down there. I've compiled a list of sorts of some of the highlights of this past year along with a few quotations at the end which I think best summarize the important things I have learned.

*I took the best, most influential, and most difficult classes of my life this past year. Last fall I took Dr. Birzer's Sectionalism and Civil War remains my favorite history class at Hillsdale. I also took Dr. Westblade's Seminar on the Life of Jonathan Edwards which was not only a great spiritual blessing, but it provided me with a senior thesis topic on the Edwards's covenant theology. Both classes I took with Dr. Gamble this past year reintroduced me to St. Augustine's City of God and helped me understand the danger of the earthly borrowing from the transcendent in relation to America's religious identity.

*This spring I took Dr. Birzer's American Order and Disorder which focused on the problems of modernity, the error of humanism divorced from Christianity, and the power of the imagination as a means to understanding myth and the revealed Logos in history. From Russell Kirk to Eric Voegelin, I understand the reasons why modernity can never fulfill what it promises. Also, the lectures on T.S. Eliot forever changed my life and the way I view the world. I also took the "capstone" Hillsdale class, Artes Liberales. The class is taught by two professors, Dr. Whalen a professor of English and our associate provost, and Dr. Kalthoff our outgoing Dean of Faculty and current Chair of the History Department. For three hours on Wednesday afternoons, we talked about the importance of a liberal education, why and how one could pursue it, and the insufficiencies of modern day education, of vocational training, specialization, and practical knowledge. Liberal education is a lifestyle, a way to live with a well-ordered soul. This class tied in many of the big ideas that I had long been wrestling with, and synthesized great thinkers of the western tradition from Plato, to Aristotle, to Cicero, to Augustine, to Aquinas, to Melanchton, through many of the founders of the American Republic.

*I grew closer to many of my professors. I enjoyed many lunches and dinners with Dr. Gamble, Dr. Westblade, and Dr. Birzer. What a blessing to be at a school where the professors care about the spiritual and intellectual lives of their students!

*It was a blessing to see the growth of Hillsdale Orthodox Presbyterian Church and the community that Rev. Henes and his family worked to build among the students.

*I had an awesome year as an RA and was blessed with some of the most wonderful guys on campus. I also developed very close friendships, and strengthened many existing ones. I look forward to returning as the student house director of my dorm in the fall.

*Revived interest in the American Studies major at Hillsdale. I was elected president of the American Studies Honorary, Delta Pi Nu, and look forward to the coming year to recruiting new members and promoting stimulating intellectual discussion around campus.

*Building a campfire in the middle of winter, and reading G.K. Chesterton's "The Ballad of the White Horse" by the light of the fire.

*The many great nights of reading the Bible, T.S. Eliot, C.S. Lewis, and other great authors out loud in the dorm.

*Delicious taco nights at the Ramp with four amazing girls, Hannah, Elyse, Bethany, and Jami, three of whom graduated this past weekend.

*Many many many fun times. Dances, concerts, Michigan Football game, Detroit Tigers game, chilling at the Donnybrook (off-campus house with a number of good friends), fall break in Chicago, Spring Break in NYC, etc. It was the most stressful academic year, but there was also time for plenty of fun!

Here are some great quotations that changed my life and only begin to summarize this past year:

At the back of every discussion of the good society lies this question, What is the object of human life? The enlightened conservative does not believe that the end or aim of life is
competition; or success; or enjoyment; or longevity; or power; or possessions. He believes, instead, that the object of life is Love. He knows that the just and ordered society is that in which Love governs us, so far as Love ever can reign in this world of sorrows; and he knows that the anarchical or the tyrannical society is that in which Love lies corrupt. He has learnt that Love is the source of all being, and that Hell itself is ordained by Love. He understands that Death, when we have finished the part that was assigned to us, is the reward of Love. And he apprehends the truth that the greatest happiness ever granted to a man is the privilege of being happy in the hour of his death.
---Russell Kirk

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
--- T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding" from the Four Quartets

Teach us to care and not to care
Teach us to sit still.
--- T.S. Eliot, Ash Wednesday

Quarry the granite rock with razors, or moor the vessel with a thread of silk; then may you hope with such keen and delicate instruments as human knowledge and human reason to contend against those giants, the passion and the pride of man.

Knowledge is most truly free when it is philosophical knowledge...
--- John Henry Newman, Idea of a University, Discourse V.

Leisure, then as a condition of the soul-... is the disposition of receptive understanding, of contemplative beholding, and immersion- in the real.
--- Josef Pieper, Leisure the Basis of Culture

No comments: