Sunday, May 31, 2009

New Beginnings... in Washington D.C.

So I made it down here safely Saturday afternoon. Julie and Emily (fellow Hillsdale students) met me at the airport which was kind of them. It makes arriving in a new city a little easier when you have people you know there to greet you. I arrived at the house where I am staying this summer around 1:30pm and took some time to unpack and sleep for a bit. After meeting my host family, who are wonderful people indeed, I watched the Red Wings destroy the Penguins in Game One of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I worshiped this morning at Christ Reformed Church through whom I found my host family. It is a small congregation in a tough environment for traditional worship style. For many reasons, it is hard to plant and build a conservative reformed church in the D.C. area. Most interns attend Capitol Hill Baptist... which is probably where I would have gone it if weren't for my finding of a URC church in the area.

This afternoon I experimented with the bus system which will be part of my daily commute. Although the route was different today because of the weekend, I think I understand what I'm doing. I'll be up early leave and myself plenty of time tomorrow for my morning commute. The bus is actually cheaper than the subway especially if you transfer lines on the same trip. Thus, I will take advantage of any reduced fare I can get. If you are familiar with the D.C. area, I'll be bording at the Pentagon (yellow line) and take that to L'enfant Plaza which is the transfer point for the yellow, green, orange, and blue lines. After that it is two stops on the orange or blue line to Capitol Hill South. And then two blocks later is the Rayburn Office building where I will be working. I walked around Capitol Hill today and fell in love with it all over again. I am so glad to be here for the summer.

I met up with Dakota, another fellow Hillsdale student for dinner in Union Station. After receiving many free sampless from the restuarants in the food court, I ate delicious Japanese Chicken Teriyaki. Now I am back at the house dreading my early morning alarm. Hopefully things go smooth the first day on the job...

I will post more when I get a better idea what I will be doing this summer...

No comments: