Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cap and Trade

Tomorrow the House will vote on the Clean Air and Energy plan proposed by House Democrats. Lead sponsors of the legislation are Reps. Markey and Waxman. For the life of me, I will never understand liberal economic policy. Those who know me, realize I am no staunch advocate of the free market. But I seriously do not understand why we we should pass an energy bill that will cost the average American family $3000 a year. All in the name of something that is scientifically unproven. I greatly question Obama's stimulus package to the American people. Why give the Americans a few hundred dollars when your tax and spend policies will cost them thousands of dollars in the end. This is ludicrous and its stunning at how stupid the American people are. No offense to any Obama voters reading this. But get real. Pay attention to how public policy actually works. Understand that big inefficient government offers many promises but no solutions and always ends up making our lives worse in the long run. I'm not suggesting the GOP is offering better alternatives at this point. The Republicans are just as confused and misguided on many issues. But when it comes to this proposed energy bill (known as Cap and Trade), and Obama's domestic initiatives in general, the Democratic agenda is more than just misguided. It is just plain and simple stupid.

At least this type of legislation has kept me busy over the summer. I look forward to ending my fourth week on the job. I really am enjoying my internship and all that I get to learn. Some of my work in the spreading of the parental rights amendment got some coverage when we reached 100 co-sponsors in the House. This past week I've done a variety of things including research on taxes, health care, and government emergency contacts and protocols. It definitely keeps the day interesting.

Thankfully I have a life outside of work which is awesome. I talked on the phone for three and a half hours last night which was kind of ridiculous... thank goodness for free nights and weekends. Tonight I went to an intern barbecue put on by a Christian organization... and then went out for a drink with Julie which was nice to do especially after a busy past week of work. Tomorrow I am working and then going over to Zach's for a bit. We are meeting up with some people at night. I'm spending the night with Zach because we are having breakfast together on Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon we are bookstore hunting and then spending the night with Sam. We will go to his church and have dinner with his family. I should have a more detailed report of the weekend... after it is over!

For now... sleep...

No comments: