Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Whoa- June 23?

So I was going to call this post "Mid-June Update" but was horrified upon looking at my computer clock that it is actually June 23. Yes I really did know that... but I guess I never actually realized it. SCARY. Summer is going by fast but I didn't think it was actually going by that fast.

This past weekend was really relaxing. I spent most of Saturday out in Georgetown at James's place. Read and slept... and made spaghetti for dinner. Hannah is coming out this Thursday for the weekend so James was (and still is) fairly one track minded at this point... which is understandable. Speaking of the weekend, it appears to be filling up fairly quickly. Sean McDermott is coming into town on Friday and he is trying to get a group together Friday night. I have plans Saturday too... so we will see how they turn out.

The Metro accident shook the entire city up I think. One knows the risks of any sort of transportation system. Certainly we place a lot of trust in it to function properly. No Hillsdale students were hurt which is a blessing. Meanwhile the commute today went normally for myself although there were delays and no service on nearly ever stop of the red line... I am definitely glad I live in an area which avoids the red line completely.

Meanwhile work continues to plug along. I had a few "small world" occurrences today. First I had a free lunch today courtesy of the James Kennedy Institute of Christian Statesmen. Yes, politically active Christian organizations inherently scare me. But the speaker was Rep. Mike Pence... and there was free lunch for the first 100 who RSVP'd. Rep. Pence was actually really good... and rather than trying to encourage young Capitol Hill interns to overtake the world, he spoke on remaining faithful to what was really lasting in life... that being our faith in Christ. Anyways after I got off the elevator and turned the corner to go back to this office, I ran into this lady who recognized me from KEEGSTRA'S. Wow... that was like... 6 or 7 years ago. I faintly recognized her too... she was there with her husband and family. I was a bit stunned... but happy to see people from Hudsonville. I also found out my chief of staff is a good friend of Mitch Newenhouse... my former boss. When he found about that I knew Mitch, he called Mitch up to tell him I was working for him now. What a small and crazy world... it's almost scary...

To follow up my free lunch, I also got to enjoy a free dinner this evening courtesy of Hillsdale. Afterwards Dr. Bobb showed us the space where the new headquarters for Hilldale's D.C. campus is located. It is an exciting time for Hillsdale and the space looks very promising... although I am not entirely sure what I think of the entire idea in general.

Anyways its time for sleep before a long day tomorrow... will try and post sometime before the weekend but no promises.

No comments: