Thursday, July 23, 2009

I'm probaby not going to come back here... maybe...

Dr. Birzer told me I needed to start writing things down that I have learned/been challenged with. He asked me on the phone the other day if I was enjoying myself and learning a lot. I launched into a very long-winded answer. Poor Dr. Birzer... but I do know why he told me to start writing things down!

I've been asked quite a few times if I will come back to D.C. after college. My answer is a firm "No"... but then I hesitate. After all, how am I supposed to know what God's plan is for right now?

Little Gidding's lines continue to define the way I think about... everything. In many ways, I am right back where I first started. I am in D.C... (which is not where I started), but I have rediscovered my love and passion for politics. I understand politics... the election cycles... and how to get things done in Congress. I wish more important things came more naturally to me. But in another sense, I know this love of politics "for the first time" in that I think about it differently. Conservatism is inherently anti-political. Myself as a human being has little to do with politics. There is a proper place for politics... I'm more convinced than ever that both the left and the right do not have the answers.

So in a sense, I only have rekindled my love of politics, because I have discovered its proper place in the world... and for now in my life. I expect these thoughts to change as well as I grow and mature and am challenged. I still believe God is calling me to serve him through education, which has become a greater passion of mine. But for now, I do not know where I will be one year from today. Rather I must focus on the present... for this is where God has placed me for now.

No comments: