Monday, July 6, 2009

Tonight I miss Hillsdale

I miss the long nights at Hillsdale. The days at Hillsdale are always quick. The nights are long. But they are wonderful. They start somewhere after dinner (around 6pm?) and end around 3am or so. It is those nights, next to certain people, that I am missing most. The smell of pipe smoke, the endless stack of library books, and the sound of good music from room #203. It makes me very excited for next semester.

Yet there are definitely things I am going to miss here in D.C. I continue to have a love/hate relationship with the subway. But there is something awesome about standing on the platform, when the roar of the metro cars sends a gust of air into your face. I will miss walking by the Capitol Building five days on the way to work. And I will miss doing work I actually enjoy, and that as of now, I seem to be fairly good at.

Today I gave a tour of the Capitol this morning to a family from Holland. They were proud Pete was their congressman. A lot of people from Michigan District Two will miss him. I ate another delicious free lunch courtesy of Bill. Meatball sandwiches, pasta salad, potato chips, and brownies. This afternoon I went to a briefing with Daniela. It consisted of a number of social policy LA's (Legislative Assistants) from various congressman (all Republican of course). They discussed traditional values related legislation. It will be a busy end to the summer. It was interesting, especially as I continue to question with the relationship between Christianity and politics.

Tomorrow Mr. Hoekstra will be back in the office...

No comments: