Thursday, July 30, 2009

Intern Lunch

Today the office scheduled the obligatory "farewell" lunch for their interns. I guess they do one every spring, summer, and fall since there are always interns in the office. Kathleen, who is the other intern in our office this past summer has her last day tomorrow. Next week with the recess, many of our staffers will be in and out of the office. Thus they decided to do the lunch today as both the congressman and the staff would be available.

You think staffers can debate policy... wait until you see them debate pizza toppings. In an intense half hour struggle, the pizza toppings were finally selected in a controversial compromised proposed by the chief of staff to let the interns select the toppings since it was technically their lunch.

I probably would not have gotten sentimental except they gave me a card! Then all sorts of emotions and thoughts took over...

After sitting down, as we got enjoyedconversation as a staff... I was thinking what a great summer it has been getting to know these people on a more personal basis. While we were sitting there, laughing a lot because that is what my office seems to do very well, it seemed as if everyone there was no longer a chief of staff, a communications director, a legislative assistant, an office manager, or a staff assistant. Rather we were Justin, Dave, RJ, Leah, and Keal... among others. I think that is the most rewarding part of any experience I've ever encountered. Getting to know people for who they are beyond the labels they identify themselves with, and the boxes the world places them on.

In my own life the most enriching relationships I have are with those I would never have expected as much. I may never encounter these people again in this life, but I am blessed with the opportunity to know them as people... outside of their jobs... if even for little glimpses at small moments in time.

No comments: