Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Liberal View of the Servile Arts

Monday evening after work I met up with Dakota and Will to attend a lecture presented by the Ethics and Public Policy Center. It featured author Matthew Crawford who recently released a book titled, Shop Class as Soul Craft which describes his view of what a job should look like. Crawford, who has a masters (or a doctorate perhaps) in public policy from the University of Chicago. Later quitting his job at a think-tank in Washington D.C. to operate a motorcycle repair shop in Virginia, Crawford critiques many modern day assumptions about labor, vocation, and the value of truly enjoying ones work. I had the chance to meet Mr. Crawford and ask him a few questions. Although he seems supportive of liberal education, I did not get the feeling his understanding of it was as deep as I expect from someone with the educational background he possesses. Regardless, he makes a very important point about education and I think it is definitely worth listening to. I've attached the article in the New York Times here in case you wish to follow up more.

All in all, the lecture was definitely worth my time... along with the wine and cheese they served afterwards :D

No comments: