Friday, July 10, 2009

Lectures Lectures Lectures

I ended up skipping a fair amount of Eagle Forum. I just could not take so much mindless "conservative" indoctrination. This morning they brought in a few speakers who had brains and could make actual arguments. I was pleased with that although I wish that was more the norm rather than the exception. In general, it reveals my own frustration with the overtly ideological modern day conservative movement. A lot of the ideas I am working through only reveal the wrong direction of both the Democratic and Republican party. The answer for the GOP is not to return to its "roots" whatever the heck those are anyways. Historically speaking, the roots of the GOP is an anti-slavery/anti-Mormon platform. If THOSE are the roots the GOP is talking about, I'm really not interested in belonging to a party relevant about 150 years ago.

This morning Dr. Moreno spoke at 7:45am at Ebenezer's Coffeeshop a block away from Union Station. I skipped over to Eagle Forum after that but left around noon to go to a different lunch at the Heritage Foundation. The event is called the Madison Fellows and is coordinated by Hillsdale, the Heritage Foundation, and the Federalist Society. The "Fellows" are congressional staffers and it is a once a month lunch in which constitutionally conservative ideas are discussed. Zak, one of our LA's is one of the "Fellows" so he invited me to go with him to the lunch today as I am a current Hillsdale student. It was interesting... I definitely enjoyed the discussion on the upcoming confirmation hearings of Judge Sotomayor.

At 4pm, Hillsdale summer interns got the chance to meet former Senator Fred Thompson. He spoke for a few minutes and answered questions. He did a good job reminding Republicans that there is in fact no perfect solution to all of our problems. I appreciated his practical viewpoint of which still preserved basic conservative ideas.

Tonight I am home resting up from my cold. I have a White House tomorrow early which I am excited about. I am headed out to William's in the afternoon. We are headed to an OPC church in Vienna Sunday morning.

And so concludes the update I'm sure you've have all been waiting for...

No comments: