Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Rotunda Tour... and Time...

Today I got to do one of the most incredible things I have ever done... which perhaps suggests that I have not lived a very incredible life...

Thanks to the persevering work of Leah our executive assistant, our office was able to schedule a Rotunda tour for the interns! Kathleen and I were able to invite two friends each so logically I picked Will and Zach knowing that they will likely read these words someday and will no doubt be flattered. The tour was of course amazing... indescribable really... and it was a great way to (almost) end my internship.

Thinking about myself four years ago, I would have been so pleased with the idea of a Capitol internship for the sake of my future political career. Obviously things have changed and I'm not altogether certain what direction this next year will bring.

Many of my recent feeble attempts to think "intellectual" thoughts have focused on T.S. Eliot's conception of Time in the Four Quartets. C.S. Lewis also deals with this subject in a very similar manner I think... throughout his writings. Going through "Screwtape Letters" at the beginning of summer has allowed me to keep thinking about the similarities in Eliot's and Lewis's understanding of time.

Both note a tension in human beings. We are made for eternity but we live in time. God Himself is outside of time. He is the beginning and the end, and thus naturally does not operate by the human and finite understanding of time. In this sense, God is outside of time because he is eternal. Eliot writes in "Little Gidding" that history is a pattern of "timeless" moments... The moments in time which somehow are eternal for they have greater meaning outside of this temporary world.

Lewis suggests that since we are created for eternity, while we are on earth, God wishes for us to attend to the Present, "For the Present is the point at which time touches eternity." In these
"present moments" can humans experience true reality, which is outside of time for true reality is an encounter with our Creator. It is in our Creator, that the Apostle said on Mars Hill that "we live and move and have our being."

Thus, Lewis warns against both dwelling too much in the past, but especially in the future claiming that the future is "the thing least like eternity" for it is the "most completely temporal part of time." Ideology, evolution, scientific humanism, and of course Communism all fix men's eyes upon the future, the "very core of temporality."

Men must instead focus on "today's duty." I think this reminder is good not just in a practical sense... because I cannot worry what the next year will bring, but also in an eternal sense. God's will will be made known to me, He has promised me this and I can trust His promises for they are faithful. I think this is what Eliot means when he writes:

Time past and time future
What might have been and what has been
Points to one end, which is always present

Regardless of where we are in life we are called to pursue those things that are timeless. God's grace allows us to comprehend beyond what is temporary and live inside the eternal present, the moments which God makes us truly alive...

2 comments:

Zach said...

Flattered, truly. ;)

William said...

Ditto what Zach said. :)